This afternoon, I was approached by a nurse at the nursing home where I provide psychological services. She has overheard me introduce myself as a doctor. Consequently, I assume that she thinks that I’m a physician.
She asked me about a recent allergic reaction that she had experienced. Several weeks after exposure to paint, she’s continuing to experience nasal irritation.
I mentioned that I previously experienced a severe allergic reaction to iodine/IVP contrast dye. This resulted in six weeks of dysphagia. It provided very valuable insight into the difficulties associated with swallowing after sustaining a stroke.
We discussed how allergic reactions can take place to medications and/or substances to which we have previously not experienced any problems. We then talked about the importance of wearing a form of medical identification. This is very important if you’ve ever experienced a severe allergic reaction.